Over a number of years now, the Music Department at St Mary's College has developed an exciting and highly respected extra-curricula ensemble performance program. This large and expanding program gives students an opportunity to experience the personal and public rewards of creating and performing music of a high standard in many challenging, yet stimulating settings.
The opening of the Centre for the Performing Arts in August 2006 gave the College a 'state of the art' theatre that offers performance opportunities. The centre includes instrumental suites that provide first class facilities for our Instrumental Music Program.
The Music Department involves itself in many school and wider community events. These include Justice Day, College masses, school productions, classical, cabaret and jazz nights, Generations in Jazz - Mt Gambier, Catholic Schools Music Festival, ABODA Band Festival, fundraising events, corporate and private functions. These are great opportunities for students to experience performing to a variety of audiences.
Since 2009, selected students and staff of the Music Department embark on a music tour of Ireland. This tour occurs every three years and students visit and connect with the original school and convent of the seven Dominican Sisters who founded St Mary's College in 1869.This is a valuable experience of touring for students with the aim to:
- Reaffirm the Dominican teachings by experiencing the history of our College
- Develop cultural and music ties with other Dominican schools in Ireland
- Visit and perfom at various Dominican schools and convents
- Celebrate the exceptional talent pool of current music students
- Partcipation in this music tour is based on a selection process and requirements of each ensemble.